After 40 years of extensive study and experience teaching weight loss classes, Dr. Yarnell offers some essential keys he has learned about successful weight loss and fat reduction. There is also information you can use to help you lose weight easily, quickly and permanently. In addition, there are over 50 links to other sites to help with your exercise, nutrition, diet or fat burning needs.
1. Find out where you stand. How much do you really have to lose? The best indicator of how overweight you are is the Body Mass Ratio. This is a ratio of your height to your weight. For most people, the ratio should be between 20 and 25. You are considered overweight if your score is between 26 and 30 and obese if over 30. To get your Body Mass Ratio, put your height in inches and weight in pounds into the given formula. It will also give you your ideal weight range for your height. Click here for the Body Mass Ratio Formula.
2. We all need a different amount of calories to live and lose weight. Find out what your calorie needs are based on your age, sex and activity level. This link will also calculate your ideal body weight. Click here to find your calorie needs.
3. To lose weight quickly, never skip a meal. Your first meal after waking starts your metabolism. Your metabolism then speeds up for about eight hours and then starts slowing down until you go to sleep when it goes to low until you wake and eat and start the cycle again. Skip breakfast and your metabolism doesn't get started until lunch time. You've just missed three or four hours of fat burning time. When you skip meals during the day, your metabolism also slows down. Weight loss through the burning of stored fat is all about eating enough of the right kinds of foods so you stay full and your metabolism stays as high as possible. Remember, if you feel hungry, your metabolism slows down. This is the same thing that happens when you go on a low calorie diet. The lack of food causes your metabolism to slow down. Stay full with healthy, nonfattening foods and your metabolism will continue to burn your stored fat as fast as your body will allow. To learn more about your metabolism and how it works, click here.
4. Let your brain help you feel full. Stretch your meals to, at least, 20 minutes or longer. Your stomach, mouth and brain are all connected and it takes 20 minutes of chewing before your stomach signals your brain that you are full. To successfully lose weight, you need to eat slowly for 20 minutes or longer. This is one reason why liquid diets leave you feeling hungry after just a short time.
5. Help your mind take control of your eating habits with hypnosis. Hypnosis is the fastest and strongest technique you can use to break a habit or to set new ones. When you are in a state of hypnosis, it's like a trap door opens between your conscious and subconscious mind. All the suggestions to become permanently slim and trim pass from your conscious mind into your subconscious mind easily and quickly. They become a habit and start to control your eating habits without you having to diet. Your eating habits change and you lose weight automatically. To read more about Dr. Yarnell's use of hypnosis for weight loss as well as other areas, click on: Lose Weight With Hypnosis.
6. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day is important to your health, your normal diet and to help lose weight. Water is necessary for the metabolism of your stored fat. Weight loss cannot occur without an active metabolism and that requires large quantities of water. Another way to use water to lose weight is to drink a large glass of ice water just before meals. The cold causes your stomach to shrink slightly which will make you feel full faster
7. When you go fat free or low fat, you also cut out much of the taste of the foods you eat. Add the flavor back with herbs and spices. Strong flavors such as vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, curry powder, rosemary and tarragon can be used to doctor up any food you are eating.
8. Whether you go low fat or low carbohydrate, you need to know how much of each you are getting. Here are 1000 foods with their fat, calorie, carbohydrate, protein, cholesterol and saturated fat contents. The list can be automatically sorted from least to most for fat, carbohydrate, protein or cholesterol. Click here for this chart.
9. Increase your metabolism by as much as 40% by using hot and spicy foods such as hot peppers of all varieties and mustards. Research shows these foods all increase your metabolism. For double duty, give up fat filled mayonnaise for mustard and add hot peppers to your food for greater flavor and increased metabolism.
10. To lose weight faster, reduce your intake of caffeine. Caffeine leads to an increase of insulin in your body and that retards the burning of your stored fat. This is a simple chemical reaction in your body that you can change. Reduce your caffeine intake by 50% and see what happens. Here is a rough guide to use when looking at the amount of caffeine you currently take in:
12. Exercise is probably the most important key to increasing your metabolism and burning off excess fat. Research shows that you burn more stored fat for energy when you do aerobic exercises on an empty stomach. You burn more stored fat when you exercise late in the day rather than in the morning. The best time to exercise to lose weight is in the late afternoon/early evening before dinner. Doing this will not only burn off stored fat but increase your metabolism for about two to three more hours just when it was starting to slow down. This produces a significant increase in fat burned off, even after the exercise is over. Second best time to exercise for increased weight loss is in the morning before breakfast. The minimum time for this effect to take place is 20 to 30 continuous minutes.
13. You can boost your motivation when you see the cumulative results of your exercise program. If you walk, run, bike, do aerobics, swim, lift weights or skate, you can use this free, online training log site to keep track of and analyze your exercise progress. Click here to go to the training log site.
14. While aerobic exercises increase your metabolism for a period of time after you stop exercising, all exercise and activity burns calories.
15. Fast foods can kill a diet unless you know what you are doing. For example, a Burger King Whopper has a whopping 660 calories, 40 grams of fat, 47 grams of carbohydrates and 85 mg. of cholesterol. To lose weight, you should be limiting your fat intake to 30 grams for the full day. A better choice would be a McDonald's Hamburger. True, it is smaller, but it only has 270 calories, 9 grams of fat, 35 grams of carbohydrates and 30 mg. of cholesterol. If you plan what you are going to eat, you can still find fast foods that won't destroy your weight loss program. For nutritional information on over 1300 fast food items from 24 restaurant chains, click here.
16. All weight loss and exercise programs work better when you have one or more partners to work with. A support group of friends or acquaintances, all with the same goal, is ideal for keeping your motivation high. Getting rid of fat with or without having to diet is just plain easier when you are surrounded by people doing the same thing. You can lose weight working alone but the support from others helps when your motivation drops. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a support group around him or her. If that is the case for you, you can join a virtual support group on the internet. Yahoo and AOL have weight loss support group chat rooms. Delphi Forums has weight loss message boards. All are easy to use.
Once there, click on chat and then sign up. Once signed up, go to "Yahoo Categories" then "Health & Wellness" then to "Weight Loss Support". That is the name of their chat room. Once there, jump in and chat with the others there.
B. AOL. Open to members who use AOL. Once on AOL, click on the "People" button on the top bar. Then click on "Find A Chat". In the left hand window, find "Special Interests" and double click on that. Now look in the right hand window until you find the chat named "Weight Loss". Highlight it and click on "Go Chat". You are there. Jump in and chat.
C. Delphi Forums. Open to everyone. Just sign up. A message board is different than a chat room where you can converse in real time. A message board is best for asking questions and hoping someone out there answers it. It's like putting a note on a bulletin board and hoping someone will find and answer it. Click here to go to Delphi Forums. Some of the message board topics are Low Carb., Support Buddies, Goddess Diet Forums (for women concerned about differences in female metabolism and how it effects their weight loss), 40-Something (weight loss for the older group) and The Calorie Counter.
Copyright C 2003 - 2008 Dr. Thomas Yarnell All rights reserved.
Hypnosis is a safe, medically proven, and effective way to change your eating habits. Dr. Yarnell is a Master Hypnotist with 40 years experience. Use his CDs and you will lose weight easily and quickly.